Next: Locally installed applications
RedHat/CentOS Linux comes with a wide variety of pre-installed applications, which
will be found locally on all machines. A subset of these that we know to
be useful are (and let us know if you find others on the system which should
be included in this summary list):
- vi: A standard UNIX text editor.
- emacs: A powerful text editor.
- tex/latex: A standard text processing system.
- evince/kghostview: Packages for viewing PostScript files (and more)
- xfig: A package for making diagrams. Particularly useful for making
large format posters.
- convert: command from the ImageMagick package that allows you
to convert images from one format to another.
- pine: A text-based powerful email client
- kmail: A graphical email client for the KDE window system.
- gcalctool: An X11-based calculator.